Premier Doug Ford is increasing its efforts to blame the relative move of travel across the border to the ongoing proliferation of COVID-19 in the province as it attempts to seek public opinion on the need for tight border restrictions.
And a Facebook ad sponsored by a cabinet minister at Ford is publicly calling for the signing of a petition seeking to end non-essential travel in Canada – even though a massive ban on such travel has been in place for over a year. Has been imposed, and more recently known cases involve less than two percent of clearly known infections associated with travel.
“The federal government should ban all non-essential travel in Canada, so we don’t have to prolong the third wave or create conditions,” the Facebook ad placed by Education Minister Stephen Lacey reads.
A social media appeal for fears about a possible fourth wave driven by passengers after being reported by the Star earlier this week said Ford’s Progressive Conservative Party questioned a reaction to the federal liberals’ epidemic. And bought radio time.
Federal liberals have said they are willing to work with Ontario to help curb imports of new COVID-19 cases, but with the vast majority of upcoming trips already deemed necessary, a question That is exactly what else can be done to cut it. Flow of people.
Personally, sources in the office of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered the equivalent of a political eye roll on Tuesday, when asked about Ford’s latest salvo, noting that it is within the power of the Premier to be contagious and non-contagious. – Closes known hot-spots of essential workplaces.
Trudeau said on Tuesday that the federal government is responding to new issues on the border, as they are tracking new cases.
“For example, the system clearly showed that in the case of flights from India and Pakistan, those testing positive on arrival had a higher level of imports,” he told a news conference in Ottawa.
“And that’s why based on that data, we were able to move our currency and postpone those direct flights.”
Non-essential travel in Canada has been banned since March 2020, although the list of required travelers has been expanded to include some family members and some categories of students, including permanent passengers or citizens.
At the end of last week, Ford and Trudeau quipped on whether international students could be among those whose entry into Canada was further restricted, with Trudeau suggesting that Ford asked for a ban, a claim Ford later refused.
The majority of travelers arriving in Canada – some 73 percent according to the Canada Border Services Agency since March of 2020 – have a right of entry, meaning they are citizens or permanent residents. The remainder was exempted under current border restrictions.
The number of COVID-19 cases directly linked to travel as part of the overall infection rate in Canada is small. More than 5,000 air travelers have been found to be infected since mandatory quarantine in hotels starting in late February. In comparison, more than 342,000 new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Canada over the same time period.
But in a statement released on Tuesday, Ford’s office said 35 international flights and 23 domestic flights from outside Ontario landed at Pearson Airport with COVID-19-positive passengers in the past two weeks.
“These cases and countless others could have been avoided had action been taken soon,” the statement said.
“We are once again requesting the federal government to take stringent measures on our borders, including banning all non-essential travel, implementing pre-departure PCR testing for domestic flights and quarantine loopholes at land border crossings. Closing is included. “
It’s loading…It’s loading…It’s loading…It’s loading…It’s loading…
Those arriving in Canada by land are not subject to mandatory hotel quarantine, similar to air travelers, but are asked to self-segregate.
However, CBSA figures show that 87 percent of them are exempted from that requirement because they are essential employees.