Baseball’s Hall of Fame has accepted Roberto Alomar’s resignation from the board of directors, chairman Jane Forbes Clarke announced on Monday.
Alomar, who was elected to the board in 2019, submitted a letter of resignation on Saturday in view of allegations of sexual misconduct.
The second baseman of the Hall of Fame was fired as an adviser by Major League Baseball last week and placed on the league’s disqualified list following an investigation into the allegation. Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the shootout on Friday, saying in a statement that an employee of the baseball industry reported an incident involving Alomar after 2014 earlier this year.
The league hired an external law firm to investigate the case. The MLB said it would not provide more details on the investigation to protect the person coming forward.
Clarke said after Manfred’s announcement that Alomar’s plaque would remain on display in the hall because “his nemesis reflects his eligibility and the attitude of BBWAA voters at the time.” Alomar was incorporated in 2011.
Alomar also lost his place as a special assistant with the Toronto Blue Jays. The club said it was breaking ties with Alomar, including removing him from his level and unloading his banner from the Rogers Center.
The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum also said it would not revoke her status as a motivator, but it banned her from future hall events and said it would no longer be associated with her or her foundation .
Alomar was a 12-time All-Star in 17 seasons with the San Diego Padres, Blue Jayes, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks. He was known as a slick fielder, winning 10 Gold Gloves, as well as for his temper – he slammed umpire John Hirschbeck in the face, earning a five-match ban in 1996.
More AP MLB: https://Granthshala.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports